Saturday 8 January 2022

Simple 5-Heuristic Chess by Mark Watson

An idea I had for some simple chess pieces using SG6 mode got me looking for more chess source code on the Net that I might be able to use to implement them.  Here is a rough mock-up of what I had in mind.

Pawn Rook Knight Bishop Queen King

I came across a neat little program:

12000 REM SIMPLE-5 HEURISTIC CHESS BY MARK WATSON

Ported to Micro Color BASIC for the TRS-80 MC-10. It's a fairly tough little program, at least for an extremely casual player like me, although I do get it in the end. There is no wrong move detection, so I could have cheated without knowing it. Let me know if you spot anything fishy. See here for info about the original: https://games.slashdot.org/story/15/01/28/0148234/computer-chess-created-in-487-bytes-breaks-32-year-old-record

Here's me playing the game:


Here's me winning:


I might try converting the code to use my SG6 chess pieces if I'm really bored.  Or perhaps pitting this game against one of my other chess programs.

Here's a mock-up of what my SG6 chess board might look like:




No comments:

Post a Comment