Friday 20 April 2018

RetroChallenge 2018/04: CocoFest Version of MC-Chase and Contest


In honour of CocoFest. MC-Chase! And a contest. Get your name on the splash screen by deciphering the secret mystery message!

10005 ' IF YOU CAN MAKE IT
10006 ' THROUGH  6 SCREENS AND
10007 ' DECIPHER THE SECRET
10008 ' MYSTERY MESSAGE OF
10009 ' MAP 3, AND CAPTURE IT
10010 ' SEND THE IMAGE TO
10020 ' JIMGERRIE@NS.SYMPATICO.CA
10030 ' AND YOUR NAME WILL 
10040 ' APPEAR ON THE OPENING
10050 ' SCREEN OF THE OFFICIAL
10060 ' VERSION OF THE GAME!
10070 ' WIN ETERNAL COCO GLORY!

I got a coco version working just in time for the Friday night start of CocoFest. In the course of completing it I was able to sniff out a few bugs in the later two maps. Hopefully got them all, but I'll have to wait till I have some more free time next week to do some through play testing. In my haste, to post the Coco version, I let a bug slip past. It involved the routine for managing the coloured sections of the walls. You can see in this video, when I move towards the end of the long side wall.  The end section remain the same color as I move towards it:


I also had a spelling mistake in the REM instructions for the contest. See if you can spot it (watch both videos)!  3DMCHASE.BAS can be found on JGGAMES12.DSK in my zip distro of my Coco BAsic games:

http://faculty.cbu.ca/jgerrie/Home/JGGAMES.zip

or from my Google drive file space:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YcAJtWJgjOzwosZ798lny1ZZvd0ioEeG

Not sure if anyone will even take notice of my challenge at Cocofest. It's difficult trying to participate from a distance.  And I don't have the promotional flair of Bruce Moore. But I hope someone might eventually take up my challenge. The trick is to get to the third map and then examine the maze structure for a secret mystery message. Tell me what the message says and show a picture or video of the screen, and send an e-mail to jimgerrie@ns.sympatico.ca and you will get you name on the splash screen in the official version of the game, eventually to be uploaded to the Coco Archive.  The winner will be the person with the earliest e-mail time stamp.

Also made a coco version of DigDug and included on JGGAMES12.DSK. The semi-graphic design was by Carlos Comcho, and he also contributed the intro theme song based on the original game.  My son Charlie (just home from Dalhousie University), contributed the fanfare when you complete screens.  A real cooperative effort. Thanks fellas.


And greetings to all the Cocoers at CocoFest 2018!  Have a great time. Wish I was there!

P.S. My son Charlie came home from University and helped me with testing both games.  More certain now that the MC-10 versions are clear of bugs.  Thanks Charlie. However, when we looked at my sister's old Coco2 (which lives in his bedroom), it turns out it had been left on for who knows how long, and I think  some of its ICS got cooked, so no way to test the games on a real Coco2.  Will have to swap out the Coco 2 for a Coco 3 and see if I can get the games running on it. Will let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment