Friday 14 September 2018

RetroChallenge 2018/09: Atari Adventure Moving Objects TRS-80 MC-10 Version in BASIC


I have worked out most of the kinks in all the moving objects routines and have a simple win routine.  I have added a routine to distribute the objects randomly at the start of the game. The only hurdles left are dragon combat and bat object snatching. Think these routines should be relatively easy to implement.


In the video above I search first for the "micro dot." I must use the bridge "H" to gain entrance to the secret room in the Red Castle (my replacement for the "Black Castle"). When the dot is dropped in Room 4 access is granted to the secret room with my version of the easter egg. Then I continue searching for the chalice "X" which I take and drop in the Yellow Castle. This wins the game.

I'm going to have to make some decisions about combat with the dragon. I have two main options I am considering.  (1) When you have the sword Dragons run from you and try to escape the room. So you will have to be quick and stab them before they leave. But if you don't have the sword, then they chance you and you have to be quick to escape the room before they touch you.
(2) Dragon has a mouth open phase and a mouth closed phase, it always tracks you, not matter what.  So you must be quick in getting hits in while it is in mouth the closed phase.

In either case, I'm not sure how many hits will kill either you or the dragon. I'm thinking of starting with 3 strike and either is out (versus the original's 1 hit kills). I will have some ability to have different speeds for the dragons, but I'm unsure whether higher speeds will disadvantage the player too much, so I might just go with one speed. I could also have more than 3 dragons if the game requires higher challenge.  We'll just have to see which of all these variables works best. There will only be one dragon or bat in a room at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment